Wednesday, June 29, 2011

First Month Report

Well, it's been almost a month and do I feel happier?  Not terribly.  It's been a stressful month for me personally and professionally.  I've struggled with keeping a positive attitude "acting the way I want to feel".  However I did succeed in some changes.  A lot of them came to me in these past couple weeks, so I hope to keep going strong with all my June goals while focusing on July.

 
Clear My Closets:  This was my first task to tackle.  And at first I really struggled.  I'm not one to keep loads of stuff around.  Timmy hates clutter and I have a fear of becoming a hoarder.  Maybe I should finally realize that if you are afraid of becoming a hoarder, it probably won't happen. 

So I start on my bedroom closet.  It wasn't too long ago that I cleaned out this beast of a closet so this time it was different.  It was not only clearing the items I no longer wanted by tossing the clothes that no longer fit.  These were items I used to wear and LOVE, but these days I'm nowhere near my 22 year old self.  I always said I will save those outfits for when I lost the weight, but the days have gone by and I just keep buying new stretchy stuff.   I asked my friend about this dilemma.  "Since part of my month is working out, I'll start losing weight, so should I throw out the stuff now when it could fit soon?"

Without any hesitation she replied, "NO!  Throw it out now.  If you love it so much keep one or two items, but the rest has to go." 

I guess that's all I needed.  I saved a couple of my favorite dress, but everything else went.  I took everything over to my mom's where my sisters and my mom all found new exciting clothes for their wardrobe.  All in all is was nice to see them so excited about everything and to see them in some of my hand me downs make me happy I got rid of it all.  I feel better, and they have new stuff.  It's a win win for all!

One thing that rang true for me as well was although I have hare fewer clothes in front of me, I feel as though I have more to wear - because everything in my closet is something that I realistically would wear.

Tackle A Nagging Task: I still have a lot of work here.  My first nagging task; the rose garden.  It's the first thing I see when I pull in the driveway and it always bothered me that the weeds were taking over.  So one afternoon I bought flowers, mulch, weed be gone, and 3 hours later I had the rose garden and front of the house planters beautified! 

My next tasks I plan on tackling this weekend; get out the hammer and fix all the loose nails I keep running into.  AND clean the gutters.  Fingers crossed I don't fall off the roof.  Maybe I can get Timmy to do this before I get into July where it's a month of NO NAGGING!

Get Physical:  Hee hee.  To say I did this is a bunch of bull!  I know I know, it's so important to the longevity of the project, but I just didn't make it happen like I should have.  I had all the good intentions of getting up early and going to Jazzercise to get it out of the way.  Then life happened.  I became knees deep working on Almost, Maine.  Then work and life became difficult which started my drinking habit.  I was having a drink about every night, not getting drunk, but enough to really affect my body.  I've noticed I'm more sluggish and just depressed over the way I look.  So this week I revamp.  I'm not training for a biking event.  I have friends and family holding me accountable and so far I'm rockin.  Here's to being back on the fitness band wagon!

Restore, Maintain, Organize, Use to Do List, "One Minute Rule" and Evening Tidy Up:  All of these for me acted as one.  Once I got my house all cleaned and in order it's been easy to maintain and organize.  One study suggested that eliminating clutter would cut down the amount of house work in the average home by 40 percent!  One evening a friend of mine wanted to come over.  It was all last minute, but I didn't have to run around like a crazy women trying to hide all our messes.  Nope, I just vacuumed and said come on over.  It was so simple! 
The "one minute rule" has been so helpful.  It's amazing how much you can get done in that one minute.  The evening tidy up has been a refreshing change.  It's so nice to come into a clean kitchen and living room in the mornings.  Even my bedroom is cleaner! 
My to do list is helping me at work.  I've used one for the past few years, but not like I have this past month.  I wrote down every little thing I have to get done from the big projects that will take a few days to the everyday go to the bank.  There is something so gratifying in being able to crossed tasks off the list.  I find so much joy in that one little scribble.  I haven't used it at home.  Timmy said if he sees a to do list he gets overwhelmed and doesn't do any of it. 


All in all I've learned a lot this past month about the way I want to live and the way I handle stress.  There are still a lot of changes and things I need to work on.  I'm going to re-read the first two chapters so I get a better grip on my goals.  I'm excited for a couple of my friends to join in with me on this journey.  It will be nice to have someone to share with who is going through the same challenges.

No comments:

Post a Comment