Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Nine Tips for Exercise

In Gretchen's book The Happiness Project she has included tips for a lot of the most common problem areas.  Here are the nine tips tot stick to a schedule for regular exercise. (My thoughts look like this.)

  1. Always exercise on Monday's.  (So true, I find I workout so much more in a week when I hit a Monday workout.  If I miss a Monday I find myself putting off workouts and always saying "I'll start again on Monday.)
  2. Never skip exercising for two day in a row.  (This is so easy to do and makes so much sense!  Why am I always putting off the inevitable workout?  I should just do it!)
  3. Don't link exercise to weight loos.  Exercise for sanity not vanity(I need to drill this into my head.)
  4. Give yourself credit for the smallest effort.  (Timmy actually has me think this way.  Even if it's not the best workout, give yourself credit for getting up and moving.)
  5. Think about context.  Do you hate the loud music in your gym?  Re-think your choices. (I'm currently working on finding my perfect place.)
  6. Exercise frequently.  If you think you're staying in shape by playing pick-up basketball, you should be playing four or five times a week. (Can anyone explain the basketball thing? I do get the exercise frequently.)
  7. If you don't  have time to both exercise and take a shower, find exercise where you don't need to shower afterward.  (Is it just me, but I don't feel like I did a workout if I don't sweat.  I like to feel the results of my workout.)
  8. Spend money to make exercising more pleasant.  Exercise is a high life priority, so this is the place to splurge a bit if that helps.  (Is this permission to buy new clothes?  OKAY!)
  9. Remember: Belonging to a gym doesn't mean you go the gym, and just because you were in shape in college doesn't mean you're in shape now(Well put.  Enough said.)

No comments:

Post a Comment