Wednesday, July 13, 2011

One Bum Day Only!

I'm an actress, a dancer, an okay singer, a performer.  I've been doing this almost my whole life.  Since I was 10 actually, so I should be used to the rejection that comes with the territory.  And honestly I am pretty good about it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't shake my confidence some.

I had an audition last night for a show I was pretty excited about.  I'm not sure if it was the actually show that made me excited or just the thought of being back on stage.  Either way potential show = me stoked.  There's a nice crowd, I catch up with some old friends, it's a nice time.  I was confident in what I put out there.  So I go home high on life and play the waiting game.  This is the worst part.  It's like waiting for a call after a fantastic first date. 

Nine o'clock rolls around, auditions are officially over and I should be getting that call any second now.  Nine thirty...ten...ten thirty...eleven.  I head off to bed without a final resolution.  I have dreams about the show and me showing up to the first rehearsal, but told to go home.  I know when I wake up from this nightmare, I didn't get the part.  So when my phone rings this morning I wasn't surprised to here the "thanks, but no thanks."

Every time I'm rejected in one way or another I allow myself one bummed day. Twenty fours hours to be upset, mad, whiny, scheming, BUMMED.  I don't know where I come up with this rule.  Probably from mom, she's pretty smart like that.  It's also helps to talk it out to friends, so I'm heading over to the amazing Knapp's tonight for a nice evening of venting.

SIDE NOTE:  I was just checking my friends FB page and I think he put it best.  "I have been in this business a long time.  Now if I don't want to do a show it's not because I got stage fright.  It's because some creature form beyond doesn't want me to the the show."
I think that says it all.  Sums everything up in a nice little package.

No comments:

Post a Comment